Get an extra serving of vegetables and cut back on carbs by replacing rice with riced cauliflower in this healthy chicken fried rice recipe.
Dietary Info: Dairy-Free | Gluten-Free | Diabetic Appropriate
Health Info: Healthy Aging | Healthy Immunity | Heart Healthy | High Blood Pressure
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and halved
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (see Tip)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large flat-bottomed carbon-steel wok or large heavy skillet over high heat. Add eggs and cook, without stirring, until fully cooked on one side, about 30 seconds. Flip and cook until just cooked through, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into ½-inch pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan along with scallion whites, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, until the scallions have softened, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add bell pepper and snow peas; cook, stirring, until just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer everything to a large plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan; add cauliflower rice and stir until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken mixture and eggs to the pan; add tamari (or soy sauce) and sesame oil (if using) and stir until well combined. Garnish with scallion greens.