This fruit-centric, healthy dessert is a great frozen treat that can be made without the use of an ice cream machine.
1 1/2 lb ripe strawberries (stemmed, halved)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
5 cups ice
1. Trim and remove the stem from each strawberry; cut each one in half. Add strawberries into the bowl of a food processor or a powerful blender.
2. In a small bowl, add lemon juice and sugar. Mix together until sugar is mostly dissolved. Add into the food processor or blender; blend until strawberries are pureed.
3. Add in all the ice; puree until mixture is entirely smooth and all the ice has been blended.
4. Pour into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish and freeze for 30 minutes. Use a spoon to scrape along the edge of the dish, pushing those outer frozen chunks into the middle of the dish. Use back of the spoon to spread Italian ice into an even layer. Freeze another 30 minutes and repeat process. Lastly, freeze for 1 more hour.
5. Remove from freezer and use a spoon to scoop Italian ice into cups to serve.